Login Register

RSS Feed Twitter Facebook YouTube

WHY NOT JUST RELEASE ROBOCRAFT CLASSIC?

Home FORUMS Robocraft Discussions General Robocraft Chat WHY NOT JUST RELEASE ROBOCRAFT CLASSIC?

This topic contains 53 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Hands_Up_Dont_Shoot 1 day, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Odinak
    Participant

Because it will compete with unclassic one. The only way to do this is total RC failure and its requalification to opensource.

I am not sure it is ready for opensource. It needs upgraded to where 90% or more
    of people are happy. Otherwise, you will end up with 500 variants, and no standard
    model that could be the basis for a future e-game.

It really makes no sense why they don’t have a seperate version of Classic running on
    the side of their server. Let people decide which one they want to play. To call what
    they have now better, but being unwilling to have the old version to challenge their
    assertion is very hypocritical.

shyguyk
    Participant

Would call classic where pilot seats still exist

nighthawkisra
    nighthawkisra
    Participant

First of all, what you ask would most likely be nearly impossible and would require large amounts of dev time to even do. What has happened is that the code of the game has been slowly tweaked, changed, and has had various items added in (which causes to old code to be modified even more to accommodate the new items/mechanics). In all likelihood FJ does not have a copy of the code from back then. I can understand them having backups from maybe a month or two but not from much further back. In order to do what you ask, they would have to basically recreate all the code that existed back then.

Just for the sake of argument, Even if they did have a copy of all the code from a year or two ago, and they released that version of RC it wouldn’t really work out. They would have to host new servers separate from all the ones currently being used since the two games aren’t compatible which means FJ having to pay more money. The playerbase for current RC would be even further fractured and really only the Vets would go for the “Robocraft Carbon edition” as you call it. There would not be nearly enough players to have the 10v10 battles that we had back then without insane queue times. Also, each player would need to recreate all their bots, and accumulate all the parts that they have once again (most likely, assuming no compatibility between the two versions). You would basically be left with two versions of RC each without the necessary player-base to have any meaningful games and FJ would have to discontinue one or face shutting them both down.

Lubricus
    Participant

Even if they did have a copy of all the code from a year or two ago,

All serious dev companies use some sort of version handling program like GIT so they have all the old code and can easy turn back the clock. Or FJ is way worse coders than I think.

VintageGriffin
    Participant

All serious dev companies use some sort of version handling program like GIT so they have all the old code and can easy turn back the clock. Or FJ is way worse coders than I think.

Server infrastructure, networking, service segregation and data schemas are unfortunately non-version-controllable.

Odinak
    Participant

Yeah, they could just release a build from some tag or branch. Old bugs are another matter. Fixing them or even simply merging fixes into ‘classic’ will require some development time. Or sometimes merging fix is not possible at all. You have to fix it from scratch.

NovaLegion
    Participant

Because the community would be split. I would still love a classic version tho

LoreWalkerCho
    Participant

A possible example of a bug that would need extra dev time to fix would be a movement part issue that got fixed when the part got a complete rework. If you don’t like the rework, they have to go and find an entirely different way to fix it. I don’t know if this specifically has happened, but bugfixes aren’t always cut-and-paste between versions.

LoreWalkerCho
    Participant

Also, it looks like we already have at LEAST two or three incompatible definitions of ‘Classic Robocraft’. And even if we COULD get everyone to agree, many old players wouldn’t come back anyways because they just got tired of the game. Others, like me, would stay on Robocraft Modern because we genuinely think it’s better overall, even if there are things we don’t like. I just can’t see Classic having anywhere near enough players to be viable.

It really isn’t a big deal Lore. They are coding pointless achievement things.
    They clearly have nothing better to do than to start a major reversion. πŸ™‚

Odinak
    Participant

It really isn’t a big deal Lore. They are coding pointless achievement things.

Anyone can code achievements. But to implement movement requires more skills and more expensive developers ))

cannonbk3
    Participant

my reason for calling the carbon 6 release was imo it was a great time
    we had all the cube’s and the carbon 6 was a t10 variant
    the tech tree( inspired me! just waiting to get my hands on the next big thing would keep me up all night)
    we had just got the towers
    the seats were still in,
    smg’s had hit-scan
    shield’s regenerated
    most of the maps were great (cough not helion crater)
    nano,s were awesome with big constant laser beam that healed or destroyed
    wings worked
    hovers kept a stable height
    thrusters worked
    tanks were tanks (not block spam)
    insect leg’s worked just fine
    wheels worked well
    matchmaking worked because we could only have 1 wep variant per bot
    and best of all teir’s when you got to fight your own skill level a solid kicking was a tangible head’s up to improve your bots
    i could go on but personally it was my golden age of the mighty RC

and i think the timing make’s for a good game title πŸ™‚

First thing FJ would need to consider is if they’d gain or lose money making a second and elder version of RC. They’d need to invest in development, because I doubt they have a copy of the game 2 or 3 years old; they’d need to invest in new servers for that version of the game, more employees to keep up with the updates there without losing man power on the main game and on Infinity; they’d also (as mentioned earlier) need a clear and specific definition of what the comunity in general, not the players on an individual level, think Classic Robocraft is. And would it be paid or F2P? Would it have Premium and GC like before or just RP to make it a Little more fair?

They’d need to consider so many variables before even attempting to make such a risky move

Leo17453
    Participant

True classic for me is just before megabots were first added.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.